Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Zoot Sims, Morning Fun, Black Lion

I never knew Zoot Sims could sing...and I still don't. Just kidding, he does a credible job on I Can't Get Started, but his tenor, absolutely Cookin' on things like Count Basie's The King and Box Cars, is the attraction. Bob Brookmeyer serves as co-leader and is right there with him. Some super ensemble work by the two.

I kept noticing the pianist then finally took a look to see who it was. No wonder I noticed: Hank Jones. Bill Crow on bass and Jo Jones on drums are perfect pieces for rounding out this group. That old saying about you can't beat time? They might not have been able to beat it, but they sure could fight it to a draw.

Mostly rousing, even with a ballad such as Lullaby of the Leaves, bop yet really swinging at the same time. Might be the best I've heard from Brookmeyer's valve trombone, up there anyway.

No comments: