Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Helder Moutinho, Luz De Lisboa, Ocarina

"One may ask: the fado singer sings the fado, or is himself that very fado he sings?" Theme of Au Vieux Chanteur, To the Old Singer, one of 11 excellent fados from Mountinho, the first male fado singer I have encountered since I became interested in the music who really grips me.

The others haven't been bad, just not as emotive as the many women whose fado CDs I now own, which is important to me because, while I am learning more with each disc, I still understand just a little Portuguese and it's the emotion, not the words, invested in the music that really attracts me.

Someone like Mariza, Ana Moura or Cristina Branco it makes no difference that I don't understand (most of) the words she's singing, I can understand what she is singing about without knowing (most of) the words, a power that comes, perhaps, because they are the fados they sing. Ditto this guy. Also, excellent Portuguese guitar playing from Paulo Jorge Santos.

No comments: