Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Art of Portuguese Fado, Celeste Rodrigues, Collectables

I know this is probably heresy, but I feel like I'm closer to real fado, at least its essense as a folk music, than with Amalia Rodrigues, her older sister and inarguably the most famous of fadistas. Celeste's singing is haunting to me rather than bringing to my mind the opera, as Amalia often does. Not to say Celeste can't make her voice soar. She can. I suspect this is more like what I will hear when I find that little hole-in-the-wall fado club of my dreams.

An informative review of the CD can be found at the wonderful All This Is Fado, a Web log about "Portuguese Fado in English."

2 comments:

paulo said...

Interesting your point of view.
No matter. Two amazing women.
:-)

Mr. Greg said...

Yes, both amazing and probably not as different as I briefly stated there. Certainly, in a given session Amalia gets to the essence of fado as a folk music as well.