Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Roky like Rocky

dusty2
dusty2,
originally uploaded by mrgreg.
You can read the back story on Roky (pronounced Rocky, like the boxer) Erickson at allmusic and his own Web site. Two weeks ago, on a Saturday night after a long day in the 100-degree heat at the Austin City Limits festival and a lot of cold Lone Stars, I found myself listening to his first full concert performance in a long time. I would have been back at the motel showering if I hadn't been there with my musically encyclopedic friends Carl Abernathy and Rodd Zolkos, who wrangled us into attending. Suffice to say, Roky was a revelation.

Which is how I ended up buying last week "I Have Always Been Here Before," a new anthology of Erickson's career from Shout Factory. The music, 43 tracks worth, ranges from being like the Doors to Dylan. There are 10 cuts from his days in the 13th Floor Elevators, the landmark psychedelic band. Meanwhile, some of his stuff reminds me of the more rock-oriented material from folk rocker/musical storytellers Harry Chapin and John Prine, two of my favorites. And there's more than a hint of Texas blues (he's from Austin) in there, too. Sorry, I detect no jazz.

OK, Roky sings about working at the Kremlin with a two-headed dog and thinking up demons sometimes, but there also are some touching ballads and stirring calls for social justice on the two disks and a lot of stellar guitar work. At his best, he's as good as the Beatles, Stones or anybody else from the '60s. This new fan is pulling for him and suggests you do as well. Start by getting "I Have Always Been Here Before," which will be good for both of you.

No comments: