Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Free duo

"New World Pygmies" (Eremite) gets you decidedly avant-garde alto saxophonist Jemeel Moondoc and versatile bassist William Parker, one of my favorite current jazz musicians and group leaders. That's it. Two guys who hadn't played together in a dozen years in a program improvised live. That they do it so well is pretty amazing. This also is a good CD to study the importance, as I've posited before, a bassist can have in free jazz, writ large because it's only Parker and Moondoc.

Moondoc reminds me of later Ornette Coleman, although he isn't that much different than Sonny Rollins either, if you isolated what Mr. Rollins does as this CD isolates Moondoc, which is to say his playing's outside but not excessively outside. Parker does about everything you can do with a bass here. If you enjoy free jazz and improvised music you probably will like this disk.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hello...just wanted to let you know that I've linked you on my blog -- love your site!

Janet

www.lordcelery.blogspot.com

Mr. Greg said...

Thank you. I will link to your Web log as well. I'm a big England fan and I envy you getting to live there. I can only work in a week or two, but try to do it every year or so.