Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Look ma, no piano

Enrico Rava's "Full of Life" from CamJazz has the great Italian trumpeter in a Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker-like pianoless quartet, but with more of a Mingus feel musically. Rava is joined by Javier Girotto on baritone sax (mostly, he plays a nice soprano otherwise), a bassist and drummer. Most of the CD is compositions by Rava and Girotto along with a few standards, "Moonlight in Vermont," done as a fetching ballad with avant-garde touches, and "Nature Boy" among them. "The Surrey with the Fringe on Top" is somewhere under the heavy and inventive improvising they do over it. Check out "Happiness is to Win a Big Prize in Cash," a calypso-sounding hoot I can see myself skipping down the street to, if I could still skip. A delightful disk top to bottom.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Greg,

Thanks for the cross-link! I really like your writing style and subject matter!

I ALMOST went to U of I years ago. But then my father's job was transferred from Southern Illinois (Salem) down to Houston -- I went with them -- ended up in the oil "bidness" -- and the rest is history!

I LOVE life in England -- and my British husband-to-be! So it would appear that I'll be over here for awhile. It's a terrific place to live.

Keep up the excellent blog, and I'll keep reading!

Janet

(lordcelery.blogspot.com)