Tuesday, April 26, 2005

New old thing

I’m a big fan of Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories and I remember after the first time I read them through, before I discovered the pleasure of reading them again periodically, fishing for replacements and reading "The Seven Percent Solution" by Nicholas Meyer. Yeah, it was imitative. A pretty good imitation, in fact. Which happened to make it a thoroughly enjoyable read.

And that’s how I feel about Wallace Roney’s recent CD "Prototype," which is imitative of the great '60s quintet and electric period (I hear a "In a Silent Way" and "Tutu" on this in snatches) of Miles Davis. It's a pretty good imitation, in fact. (Roney, after all, once served as stand-in for the great one.)

Which happens to make it an enjoyable listen. Worth buying. Also, you critics should get off Wallace Roney's case about sounding just like Miles Davis. He doesn't, any more than Nicholas Meyer writes just like Sir Arthur. Sounding like Miles isn't an insult anyway, man.

No comments: