Sunday, April 24, 2005

A jazz history lesson

With a Champaign-Urbana flavor. Saxophonist Tony Zamora remembers some of the jazz roots, which run impressively deep, of the place where I live.

This was done as part of a jazz promotion project last year by folks at the University of Illinois and in the community. Thanks to my friend Carl Abernathy for sending along the link.

I knew Mr. Zamora as a student at Purdue University, where he took a job after living here, and Carl and I just saw him at the Sonny Rollins concert in Chicago Friday night. He's still playing. If you're ever in West Lafayette when his band is at the Knickerbocker Saloon downtown, which claims to be the oldest bar in Indiana, do yourself a favor and catch him. If Tony hadn't decided to make his career doing good things for students, I think he'd have made a notable one as a full-time jazz musician.

No comments: