Friday, August 07, 2009

Luisa Soares, Fados do Fado 39, Movieplay


The phrase "belt it out" comes to mind and I finally decided who she reminds me of, after a half dozen listens: Lavay Smith. I'm not intending to be critical in either case. In terms of Boss Springsteen, it's the difference between the unfolding of Thunder Road and the all-out assault of Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out. Both great songs magnificently rendered. And both Luisa Soares and Lavay are wonderful singers, who happen to take the Freeze-Out tack in their delivery.

You could say they sing with the subtlety of a sledge hammer. You also could say they sing joyously. I'd say the latter. Listening to either, or to Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out for that matter, is rousing. It's hard to listen to Sombras Da Madrugada (Luisa) and Big Fine Daddy (Lavay) and not feel good about it. Not necessarily giddy in the case of Soares, because she conveys, in songs like A Diva, the melancholy in many fado pieces. But even then, there's an energy surge to be had from her singing. I think Fado Cunha E Silva is one of my favorite fado tracks

No comments: