Monday, January 02, 2006

Out with the old

I wrote about some jazz CDs I enjoyed in 2005 over the weekend. Here are some other disks I liked, one a four-disk jazz collection and two otherwise.

1) Roky Erickson, "I Have Always Been Here Here Before," Shout Factory. Like The Doors or Dylan? They've got nothing over on Roky. I'm indebted to my buddies Carl Abernathy and Rodd Zolkos for making me go hear him at the Austin City Limits music festival in September.
2) Gerry Mulligan, "The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Band Sessions," Mosaic. Probably the most I am ever going to spend on a CD collection and this great band, with wonderful musicians playing marvelous arrangements and adding their own fantastically creative improvisational stamp to them, is worth every penny or pence.
3) Corky Siegel, "Corky Siegel's Traveling Chamber Blues Show," Alligator. If somebody had told me the blues and classical music could be enjoyably fused I would have said they were crazy. Not anymore.

No comments: