Monday, January 09, 2006

Monk time

I keep telling myself I have enough Monk and then another looks-interesting reissue or lost session comes along and I can't help it, kind of like eating pizza. Last year it was "Thelonius Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall," Blue Note. Last week it was "It's Monk's Time," Columbia/Legacy.

He starts "Lulu's Back in Town" solo, playing it stride style as if Fats Waller were playing it, if Fats Waller were Monk. Then, when he brings the band in, Charlie Rouse on his saxophone solo plays as if Fats Waller were playing it, if Fats Waller was a saxophone player and also Monk, in all his never-fails-to-surprise glory. So cool.

Monk played with a lot of great saxophone players, Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Gerry Mulligan, Johnny Griffin, not to mention Charlie Parker, but I love hearing him with Rouse. Musically, they were simply symbiotic and their interplay on "Stuffy Turkey" is a classic example. (Great bass from Butch Warren, too.) Rouse takes the improvisational lead on "Brake's Sake" and Monk shadows him perfectly for a switch. I think this CD might be the apex of their collaboration, and I didn't really have enough Monk until I bought it ... maybe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good, but not as good as Dave Monk's "I wqill now be wafting my veggie bad breath toward you"