Saturday, May 14, 2005

This crow is good

I put my nose in the air when my buddy Carl Abernathy, like me a B-3 fanatic, told me to get Dr. Lonnie Smith's "Boogaloo to Beck," then bought it for me when I dragged my feet. I mean how good could covers of songs by a rock guy I don't like, and who they make fun of on "The Simpsons," be?

Oops, turns out good enough that I'm in mild shock at just how good it is. You get David "Fathead" Newman on sax, too.

Also, I think Dr. Lonnie is actually getting better with age. I liked him in "Live at the Club Mozambique" (1970), but he's even more smokin' on "Boogaloo..." (2003) and "Too Damn Hot" (2004).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg may your job keep being good!!

Carl Abernathy said...

Try "McGriff’s House Party," a recent Jimmy McGriff album that features Dr. Lonnie Smith.

Funk-rock city, man.