Monday, April 03, 2006

More McLean

I can honestly say I don't own any Jackie McLean disks I dislike. Here are a couple others to which I'm especially partial.

"Destination Out," Blue Note. If Charlie Parker had lived into the '60s I hope he would have sounded like this, a logical extension of bop into the avant-garde era. Bobby Hutcherson on vibes and Grachan Moncur III on trombone are copacetic partners in the effort. I sometimes wonder if Roy Haynes ever recorded a session where he didn't sound like the perfect drummer for that particular date.

"Jackie McLean and Company," Prestige. Tuba player Ray Draper, on three cuts, gives it a different flavor. McLean's playing is soulful. Mal Waldron on piano and the fact that the songs are all originals by the players suggest it as well. Doug Watkins is impressive on bass.

2 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Hi Greg, that was me and Mom waving our fool heads off at you a few Sundays ago.

How was London?

Mr. Greg said...

Hello Lori. I think I realized you were waving at me about half a block later. It was the day after the night after I got home and boy was I suffering from jet lag. I had to work that day, too. Writing was, well, interesting.

London was a little cold and cloudy but it didn't rain (except for once while I was asleep) and there were plenty of warm pubs to sit in and drink tasty tepid beer in between visiting museums and seeing other sghts. I went to a big Dali exhibit. Interesting and also disturbing. I also went to the Royal Air Force Museum (cool if you like old airplanes) and the National Library, where they have an exhibit of important documents, including some da Vinci notebooks and, more importantly, napkins and other scrap paper on which the Beatles had roughed out tunes. Amusing.