Sunday, April 02, 2006

Jackie Mac attack

I like Wynton Marsalis and his music and I think he does a lot for jazz even if you disagree with his unwavering traditionalist outlook somewhat. I thought he was an articulate, educational spokesman for the music in Ken Burns' "Jazz" as well. But the narrator Burns used who impressed me the most (in fact, I owned none of his CDs until I saw him in the documentary series) was Jackie McLean, who not only had lived jazz history but conveyed what he lived with heart and soul. When he talked about his relationship with Lester Young and Young's death, I teared up.

I've been listening to the great alto saxophonist, a stellar jazz educator in his own right, since I learned about his death yesterday and picked out what I think are my three favorite Jackie McLean disks.

"Nature Boy," Blue Note. This is McLean curbing (to some extent) his avant-garde leanings and playing a lovely, ballady set with Cedar Walton on piano, David Williams on bass and Billy Higgins on drums. I think McLean's playing, usually more Charlie Parker meets John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders by way of Thelonious Monk, is lyrically beautiful and a perfect introduction to his inherent greatness as a saxophonist. Miles Davis, Charles Mingus and Art Blakey didn't use the guy when he was a pup for nothing.

"The Jackie Mac Attack Live," Verve. I believe my buddy Carl Abernathy, taste spot on as usual, gave me this. Think Jackie McLean plays his alto live like Sonny Rollins plays his tenor live and you're not far wrong. Accessible hard bop with strong avant-garde leanings and impressive improvisation. A nice companion to "Nature Boy."

"Dynasty," Triloka. Essential jazz music, not just essential Jackie McLean music. He recorded this after 10 years off to work on his educational career. I think he had a lot waiting to get out, and it does. Playing with son René, a fine reedist himself, likewise seems to have been inspirational. Pianist Hotep Idris Galeta, also on "Jackie Mac Attack," is a guy you want to hear, too.

No comments: