Friday, April 28, 2006

Happy birthday Joe Segal

You ask me the greatest thing about the Chicago jazz impresario Joe Segal's 80th birthday is the concert at Orchestra Hall celebrating it that I am attending this evening.

Among the big horns feting the owner of the Jazz Showcase: Von Freeman, Jimmy Heath, Yusef Lateef, James Moody and Ira Sullivan. Word is Lou Donaldson may be there as well.

I mentioned some Sullivan dates with Red Rodney earlier this week. Today, I've been listening to stuff from Heath, Lateef and Freeman.

I highly recommend Heath's "On the Trail," Riverside. High energy hard bop, save for a ballad interlude or two, with Wynton Kelly, Kenny Burrell, Paul Chambers and the drumming Heath brother Albert "Tootie," it's a classic jazz CD. If you can find it, get "Freddie Hubbard & Jimmy Heath Live at the Left Bank," from defunct Label M, another project of Joel Dorn that I sorely miss. Two masters trading improvisations that mostly clock in near 10 minutes or more. It's almost like being there, and this disk makes me wish I had been.

Lateef's "Eastern Sounds," OJC, shows his versatility and makes interesting use of some Asian musical forms.

Freeman's recent "The Great Divide," Koch, will make you think of Gene Ammons. I really like "You Talkin' to Me?!" from Delmark, with Freeman and young Frank Catalano matching tenors in a more free-leaning set.

No comments: