Sunday, December 25, 2005

Yule hot

So I'm listening to an Xmas mix I've built in iTunes as I get ready to go do the family gathering deal and I know three things: 1) Lavay Smith ought to be more famous than she is (see her Fat Note CD "Everybody's Talkin' Bout Miss Thing"); 2) I'm surprised people even bothered trying to do "White Christmas" after Charlie Parker did it (check out "The Complete Live Performances on Savoy"); 3) but the only holiday music disk you really need to have is "Christmas Cookin'" on Verve by the late great Jimmy Smith.

Also, Rhoda Scott would have rocked any cathedral that hired her to woman its pipe organ, as "Les Orgues de Noel" on "The Hammond Organ of Christmas," Sunnyside, clearly shows.

Season's greetings!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have Christmas Cookin'--one of my very favorite Christmas CDs, and one you can sneak in a mix early (say, on Thanksgiving) without getting on people's nerves. Also good are Eric Reed's Merry Magic, and of course Vince Guaraldi.

Mr. Greg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mr. Greg said...

I had some cuts from Guaraldi's "A Charlie Brown Christmas" in my Xmas mix and should probably have said it's the other holiday jazz CD you really want to own, and good jazz in general.