Thursday, December 15, 2005

Kermit swings

Earlier this year, I wrote about what a good time I had listening to Kermit Ruffins at the Austin City Limits music festival, which possessed me recently to pick up "Swing This!" from Basin Street Records. And suddenly I was back in Austin, minus the 108 degree heat.

A fun vocal starts "Ain't Misbehavin" followed by some joyful New Orleans-style trumpet and trombone with clever quotes of "In the Mood." Fats Waller would have been pleased. Don't get the idea this is a novelty disk, however. There's some serious jazz going on, "Swing This!" for instance. Still, you gotta love a guy who can make you smile playing "But Not for Me" and "This Little Light" is just delightful.

In fact, the whole thing is delightful. Plus you get Kermit Ruffins' recipe for barbecue smoked turkey in the liner notes, which starts with "an ice chest full of beer," something I'm strongly in favor of. My life would be diminished by not owning this CD.

No comments: