Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ana Vinagre, Paixoes, Figueira Productions

With her husband Jose singing on some tracks, too. She's another American fadista, more experienced than Nathalie Pires but rawer, which I intend as a compliment, although I really enjoy Nathalie Pires.

Vinagre's voice is powerful and expressive. She gets right down to the emotional core at the center of fado songs. But I detect very little in the way of post-processing or effects on this CD. I have to think that if I walked into a hole-in-the-wall club in Portugal to hear "real" fado, this is pretty much what I'd get, from the opener Paixoes Diagonais on. Barco Negro slips in some sea sounds. They're endearing rather than jarring, however. The guitar playing is excellent, and unflitered, as well. I believe I'll buy her other disc.

No comments: