Friday, May 29, 2009

Some more text on teens texting

I think elements of this story are interesting (the number of texts kids send for one thing), but it commits one of the journalistic sins that most annoy me: lack of perspective.

People of all ages in this day and age face constant, ubiquitous communications and the pressure to respond to them. Is it more of a problem for teens, a theme this story is built around? I doubt it.

In fact, these two short sentences in the long piece make me wonder if any basis, other than speculation by reporters and editors, exists for the notion that teens texting is a problem at all, let alone more so than for adults.

"The rise in texting is too recent to have produced any conclusive data on health effects."

"Peter W. Johnson, an associate professor of environmental and occupational health sciences at the University of Washington, said it was too early to tell whether this kind of stress is damaging."

At least those brief qualifiers were included, although they hardly negate the overriding message of the story--teen texting, be afraid parents, school officials, lawmakers, et al, be very afraid.

Reminds me of the '50s comic book scare and any number of other historical bouts of youth problem mongering, from rock music to video games. I expect this kind of thing from People or USA Today. I'm sorry when it appears in the NYT.

No comments: