Friday, May 22, 2009

Mariza, Transparente, Times Square Records


Mariza with (more) strings, particularly the bowed kind. Nonetheless, it is still very deep fado and her voice, as always, remains the commanding presence.

I am consistently amazed at the emotional effects of her singing, and the singing of fadistas in general, despite the fact that I know very little Portuguese.

This morning I had a thought. When I heard her this spring, Mariza was doing very well with her English. (She even did a boffo version of Crying during the concert, a fado for her American friends, as she put it). How I would love for someone to suggest to her a session of traditional American blues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An excellent idea!

Check out ou YouTube the video of her singing 'Oh Happy Day'. Although that is gospel it gives one an idea of her capabilities!
I believe this is the link, uploaded by 'SallyRose14'
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVywLYVgow