Thursday, May 04, 2006

Belgium for chocolate...

And Sweden for jazz. I'm adding the great trumpeter Rolf Ericson to my list of favorite Swedish jazz musicians, which is getting pretty big. On "Stockholm Sweetnin'," Dragon, he makes me think of Art Farmer with his lyrical, understated, but clearly very skilled playing. I hear elements of Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie, too. He does Thad Jones' "Bird Call" up appropriately boppy and includes a number of clever quotes Charlie Parker (whom Ericson actually accompanied on a Swedish concert tour at one point) would have appreciated.

The title track is, in fact, a sweet ballad while the unmuted up-tempo approach to "If I Were a Bell," a Miles favorite, is an interesting contrast to Davis' renditions. Pianists Göran Lindberg and Claes Croona are quite good on this. (Check out "Just Squeeze Me" and "Evelyn".) I'd like to hear more of saxophonist Nils Sandström, who mostly comps but has a nice Coltrane-like tone. Listened to the CD after a busy day writing the first draft of a work project on human research subjects and it made me feel better.

No comments: