Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Cool in New York

I raved about Donald Harrison, Ron Carter and Billy Cobham on Harrison's disk "Heroes" recently, so when I saw "New York Cool," a live reprise released last year by Half Note, I snapped it up. Good move.

You can't do "Body and Soul" better than Coleman Hawkins, so why not make it kind of a bossa mambo thing? Interesting improv by Harrison, complimentary bass from Carter, who gets a little William Parkeresque on his solo, and a great rendition of a Latin drum machine from Cobham. Harrison goes Coltrane on "I'll Remember April," which made me think of "Chasin' the Trane" in places, and Cobham pounds out a pretty good Elvin Jones, too. They also do a memorable job of abstracting "Star Eyes." Harrison epitomizes blues saxophone playing on "Blues for Happy People."

What really strikes me is how this isn't just a showcase session for the saxophonist, although Harrison gets his share of the spotlight and should, but a real team collaboration with the bass and drums as much the headliners as the horn. Considering the guys behind them, why not? Excellent.

No comments: