Friday, September 23, 2005

Bro. Jack and Capt. Kirk

If Gene Ammons and Jack McDuff are a natural pairing, I'd say Brother Jack and Roland Kirk aren't the first two guys you would think of putting together. But let me tell you, "Kirk's Work," a 1961 Prestige date which pairs the multi-instrumentalist (sometimes several instruments at a time) with the B-3 master and Champaign-Urbana native is a really good CD.

Highlights include a rollicking version of "Makin' Whoopee" and the title track, where Kirk creates some of his trademark sound variety. Throughout the disk, he plays tenor saxophone, manzello, stritch, flute and siren, generally in a more straight-ahead fashion than some of his other disks. You might be surprised at just how skilled the guy was in a "normal" context, his flute work on "Funk Underneath," for example. Meanwhile, I think McDuff has rarely sounded better and Joe Benjamin and Arthur Taylor are quite complimentary on bass and drums.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
If you like old blues, visit my blog. Blues history in croatian, but some mp3 too.
http://blueser.blog.hr/
Bye, blueser!

Mr. Greg said...

Thanks for reading and thanks for the tip. While I don't read Croation, I still enjoyed your Web log.

Mr. Greg said...

Nice Web log Andy and good to hear from someone in the UK, one of my favorite places to visit, especially the pubs.

I don't have any George Braith and I will look him up. Thanks for the suggestion.