Saturday, July 02, 2005

Genius on board

I think the music you like is as deeply personal as anything about you, which is why sometimes you hear somebody and you just have a natural affinity for their playing. I knew the first time I heard James Carter's "Chasin' the Gypsy" that I was going to be awaiting, and buying, the guy's CDs from then on. To me, Carter is the younger lion Sonny Rollins to Branford Marsalis' Coltrane, possessed of a huge sound, even bigger talent and the improvisational skill to keep you constantly wondering where he might head next.

No surprise then that I've been listening to "Out of Nowhere," his new organ trio CD, which isn't strictly an organ trio CD, all day and think it's brilliant. Gerard Gibbs has a Dr. Lonnie Smith touch on the organ that compliments Carter well. As a bonus you get James "Blood" Ulmer, who is a near-perfect guitar player to pair with J.C., and a second big horn with the legendary Hamiet Bluiett behind it. Run, don't walk, to your nearest jazz CD vendor and buy this.

Here and also here are a couple other Carter CDs you should check out.

No comments: