Monday, August 01, 2005

Sonny reflections

I picked up what I thought was the latest JazzTimes on Friday when I saw Sonny Rollins on the cover and now I see it's actually the June issue. Our Barnes & Noble must be behind. Or they had a lot of leftovers they're trying to push.

In any event, there's a nice interview, which I read today, with Mr. Rollins as he approaches his 75th birthday in September and the release this month (supposed to be Aug. 30) of a new CD from a live performance in Boston days after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, with Joshua Redman as the interviewer and a bunch of people talking about how Mr. Rollins has affected their music and lives.

One thing I learned from the package particulaly interested me. He now has all his concerts recorded. I hope the Boston disk won't be the last. I heard him give a stunning performance in Chicago in April and I would love a CD of that.

More great Sonny sides where he remakes popular tunes: "Toot, Toot, Tootsie" on "The Sound of Sonny" and "Someone to Watch over Me" on "Here's to the People." The latter may be my all-time favorite Sonny Rollins ballad performance.

No comments: