Saturday, March 19, 2005

Fathead and the Lamehawks

Listening to "It's Mr. Fathead" this morning, a vintage 32 Jazz, the little label I miss, title I got on Amazon marketplace from Caiman, with which I've had great dealings. I dropped $40 on it, but it includes all four of David "Fathead" Newman's initial albums, including "Fathead/Ray Charles Presents David Newman." You can find these singly and I think they're fine hard bop-post bop-soul jazz neighborhood pieces. Some great sidemen as well, including Ray Charles and also Wynton Kelly and Paul Chambers. Fathead plays a mean flute and the alto as well as his tenor.

I'm glad my friend David Dewar, Kansas faculty member and big Jayhawks fan, was on an airplane to London last night. At least he'll be able to concentrate on pub crawling next week and not have to spend any time worrying about NCAA basketball.

Now I really am on my way to GB, in a couple hours anyway. Cheers.

No comments: