Thursday, February 23, 2006

My new piano pal

"My New Old Friend," Cryptogramophone, has pianist Alan Pasqua leading with Darek Oles on bass and Peter Erskine on drums, a very compatible trio. The liner notes say it's intended to give the listener a place to rest for a bit and the lineup and playing are peaceful for the most part. I can see myself putting it on when I don't feel good and just want to sit quietly, although some tunes, like "Stick Slap," get lively. The songs are mostly Pasqua compositions, a few standards ("Smile," for instance, done beautifully) and at least one cover, "Wichita Lineman," I never figured to hear as a jazz tune. They make a nice ballad of it.

Pasqua, probably better known as a keyboardist for a variety of rockers, is a technically proficient jazz pianist in the Bill Evans mold who, at least on this, sticks mostly inside the lines and doesn't need to do anything else to be impressive. One of the better piano trios I've heard lately.

No comments: