Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Lou's due

Other than iTunes downloads of his big hits, I didn't have anything from Lou Rawls before the great singer passed away last month. Recently, I rectified that by buying "Stormy Monday," a reissue of a 1962 Blue Note recording with Rawls backed by my man Les McCann and his trio at the time, including the super bassist Leroy Vinnegar.

I like the disk for both Rawls and the band. Although this is near the outset of his career, he sounds just like, well, Lou Rawls and his voice may even sound fresher than it was later. The song mix incorporates mostly blues and jazz standards, among them the title track, "God Bless the Child" (a song I'll now think of in terms of Billie Holiday and Lou Rawls), swinging versions of "Willow Weep for Me" and "'Taint Nobody's Bizness If I Do" and a bluesy "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water." The gospel-tinged "A Little Les of Lou's Blues" features fine interplay between Rawls and McCann's piano and Vinnegar's walking bass is a perfect compliment to Rawls' singing all the way through. A gem.

No comments: