Saturday, April 24, 2010

Ana Moura, Leva-me Aos Fados, World Village


The title basically means take me to a fado house and, having been in a few, I feel qualified to say this is exactly what she does. You get kick-ass fado singing, sparsely accompained by guitarras and a bass here and there.

Ana is not Amalía, nor Mariza. Her voice doesn't regularly soar, it's rooted, earthy, in the same vein as Carminho's and I would not wish to be without either.

And here is the coolest thing about it. She sings Por Minha Conta and I, with my limited Portuguese, have no idea what that means without looking it up, at which point I find it more or less means On My Own, and I think, well, duh. The whole session goes like that. You just kind of know what she's singing about without even understanding the words she's singing (Talvez Depois, Perhaps Later, of course).

Or, put another way:

Why did you want to explain
what can only be felt
What are soul, light, mankind?
Why did you want to explain that?

Tell me, where is the sense
of something which has no sense
That which joins tears and laughter
Tell me, what sense is there in that?

From Crítica da Razão Pura, Critique of Pure Reason. Some things you know, and some things you just know. I just know this is really good fado, and really good music in general.

2 comments:

AmaliaPorAmor said...

Check out my blog, AmaliaPorAmor here:

http://www.amaliaporamor.blogspot.com

Although the text is written in Portuguese, you can find the links to download rare and out of print Amália Cds on the comments.

I will be posting exclusive Amália interviews in the upcoming months, her medieval album recorded in the early 70s and the live in Japan 1970, which is my favourite Amália live album.

ANALOGSOUL said...

hello.
nice blog! my name is fabian, i work for ANALOGSOUL, a german network for fantastic music and i would love to send you some music. maybe you are interested. for that i need some contact info. maybe you can send me a short mail to: kontakt (at) analogsoul (dot) de

thanks in advance.
fab