Thursday, September 01, 2005

Rhapsodic

Herbie Hancock doesn't touch "Rhapsody in Blue" on his outstanding CD "Gershwin's World" (Verve) but pianist Marcus Roberts, along with the Lincoln Center Jazz and St. Luke's classical orchestras, gives it an epic 28-minute jazzed treatment on "Portraits in Blue" from Columbia/Sony Classical. This may be my favorite version of what I rate as one of the greatest pieces of any kind of music ever. I'm enthralled every time I play it.

The disk also includes an extended treatment (20 minutes) of James P. Johnson's rarely heard "Yamekraw" and a set of fairly abstract variations off Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm." Roberts wouldn't be out of place on a classical stage, nor in a stride cutting contest.

I've heard Marcus Roberts, a Wynton Marsalis acolyte, in concert, too, and the guy is a) an extremely talented arranger and pianist and b) an intellect when it comes to jazz history, a tool he uses in creating and performing his music, and some would say limiting it. I disagree. "Portraits in Blue" is a great place to see for yourself.

No comments: